Frail and Foolish

Friday, November 23, 2007

A Prayer of Thanks

We celebrated Thanksgiving here tonight. I know, we were one day late, but that was okay. We enjoyed celebrating and being thankful none the less.

When I last left Denver a dear friend gave me, eh-hem lent me, a journal that she has filled with various stories, poems, quotes, songs, etc. There is one entry that grabs my attention over and over again. I couldn't remember what it was entitled but I wanted to share it with everyone tonight.

As it turns out it's called Prayer of Thanks. It is appropriate, of course, on this day to offer this prayer, but to me it seems to be applicable day by day.

so, Krys, if this is by you, all props. Either way, I'm sorry I didn't ask permission to distribute this and the only reason I'm not able to properly cite this wonderful work.

A Prayer of Thanks
I could talk about problems. There are plenty of those. But today, Lord, I want to say thanks...
for friends and freckles and footrests and Frisbees;
for footballs, fireflies, flamingos, and fathers,
for cartoons and Christmas and cash (when I've got it);
for camp, cashews, and Coke.
I thank you this day.

My Creator, I thank you...
for graham crackers, grandparents, graduation, good grades,
for hamburgers, heartthrobs, home and homecoming,
the four-minute mile and coaches that smile.

Ever-loving God, I offer thanks...
for Jell-O, jukeboxes, June and July,
for jeans that fade and dreams that don't,
for small mistakes and big erasers,
for music thats good, librarians that laugh,
chairs that swivel, and hiccups that stop.
I voice my praise.

God of glory. I am grateful...
for breath mints and beaches,
popcorn and pizza, dreams and drive-throughs,
weekends and winks,
as well as a mother's hug,
stinger-less bugs, and chocolate.

And my sincerest thanks...
for "You've never looked better!"
"Welcome home!" "The exam has been canceled!"
"Take the day off." and "Keep the change."

And most of all and above all, dear Father,
I thank You for Yourself: the King of all kings,
author of love, giver of life beyond life and
hope in despair. For these things and easily a
hundred-thousand others, I offer this prayer.

Amen.

1 Comments:

At 8:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not by me... don't know who wrote it, I wish I could take the credit because it's awesome, but I can't. I got that at a camp I was at years and years ago...

krys.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home