Frail and Foolish

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

The World Didn't Stop...

This is a very sensitive subject but my purpose in writing (and sharing) is to share my heart and have a little release. It is with utmost respect that I write this (without any intention to cause further pain or any disrespect to those involved.)

The title of the entry came as I was working and started to listen to the news from the New York Times. With personal "news" in the back of my mind it hit me that the world didn't stop and is rushing by even as a family mourns in northwest America. It seems like the world should pause, at least for a moment. Perhaps heaven did.

I received heartbreaking news today from two dear friends about the tragic loss of their nephew. He was born after the pregnancy caused a number of problems which, among other things, endangered his mother's health. Though I didn't know any of this until later, I had already begun praying for her after receiving word without details to be praying. Even now I only know what seem to be very basic details, understanding hasn't come. As I read the email I just cried. And after that, I cried some more. I cried out to my God, both on their behalf and, selfishly a little on my own. I don't understand.

The only things I could do, were to cry, pray, and listen to one song. Just one.

By Matt Redman
Blessed be your name
In the land that is plentiful
Where the streams of abundance flow
Blessed be your name

Blessed be your name
When I'm found in the desert place
Though I walk through the wilderness
Blessed be your name

Every blessing you pour out,
I turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say...
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be your glorious name

Blessed be your name
When the sun's shining down on me
When the world's all as it should be
Blessed be your name

Blessed be your name
On the road marked with suffering
Though there's pain in the offering
Blessed be your name

Every blessing you pour out,
I turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say...
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be your glorious name

You give and take away
You give and take away
My heart will choose to say
Lord, Blessed be your name


My heart chooses to say, "Lord, blessed be your name." King David wept and pleaded on his son's behalf until his death. After David heard the news he got up, cleaned up, changed his clothes he went into the the house of the Lord and worshiped. It was the only thing left to do...the only that could be done- to worship our worthy God.

There are so many things I don't and won't ever understand, at least from this side of eternity. But I do know, believe, understand, and trust that my God is good. He is faithful. He will comfort and keep in peace and that's sufficient.

Especially being away from my home country, half-way around the world, I find solace in a God who is there and takes care, especially when I'm not and can't be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home