Frail and Foolish

Monday, October 15, 2007

No "i" in Team

I heard an interesting quote today from the mouth and mind of Michael Jordan. It was something to the effect of, "There is no 'i' in team, but there is in win." He makes an interesting point. I had a conversation yesterday, which preceded much of our group conversation today, about learning to work primarily in our strength. The point that very well-rounded players make for good players on an average team, but they will never win a championship, also came into play.

I think we need to figure out what our strengths are and then work in them, not go around figuring out how we can make our weaknesses less weak. This of course is no excuse for mediocrity, laziness, or sin issues but it does raise an interesting, sometimes counter-cultural issue.

As we learn to live and work in our strengths it helps the body, or community. It allows others to serve in their strengths. It allows us to step up for one another, come alongside one another, and be increasingly effective. And happy for that matter.

Back to the "well-rounded players make for good players on an average team, but they will never win a championship" thing: if we will allow people to play in their strength, to serve and work in the "position" of their strengths then well-rounded TEAMS can be formed. Placing people in something less than where their passion, talents, and job requirements intersect leaves people, well, unfulfilled, unhappy, frustrated, or fired.

I watched a video today that gave the statistic, "Less than 2 out of every 10 people play to their strengths..." 17% actually. That means that there is a pretty good chance that we, you and I, are not in the 2. I'm not saying I have the answers, and virtually everything I'm writing here is a "stolen" idea. But I am saying, maybe it is time for us to start asking some questions.

John Eldredge talks about this in one of his books, Wild at Heart, I think. He says, in essence, "what the world needs is not one more this (insert job title here) or that (insert job title here) but what the world needs is people who have come alive." (Sorry to spoil the book and/or likely misquote him)

"What the world needs is people who have come alive." I don't know what makes you come alive. Things still catch me by surprise in how alive they make me feel. Again, I'm just saying maybe its time we started to ask ourselves some questions. "God won't hold us accountable for the gifts he never gave us. (PZ)"

Perhaps it's time to stop focusing on the often painful, frustrating process of improving ourselves in the area of our weakness(es) and improve ourselves where we are strong, where our passions lie, in ares where we are good, even great.

'Cause, there is no 'i' in "team" but THERE IS in "win."

3 Comments:

At 5:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Evan, You are such a great writer. I always learn something new or am inspired when I read your blog. The Lord continues to show me how good He is even when my world seems to be crashing. God bless you girl!

 
At 7:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, Evan, so what about in our struggle? For some of us, the struggle is not IN improving ourselves, I don't think (not to discount or make light of those who do...it is an important issue). So, should we be 'alive' in that struggle? And if so, what does that mean? What does 'alive' look like? Peace and praise in the midst of it all? Passionate? Wow, this is a tough one. I appreciate what you said, though, about the well-rounded teams and think that's what the 'Church' is missing (I said that like I have all the answers. I don't.) The focus must change from EACH bettering SELF to ALL bettering the COMMON GOOD (which is best)...the focus changes...it helps me to see that.

And the quote "God won't hold us accountable for the gifts he never gave us." I don't believe I've ever heard it put quite that way. That takes the importance of finding our gifts and our passions one step further....hmm.......-cdk

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger EvanTerese said...

jen- your statement "The Lord continues to show me how good He is even when my world seems to be crashing" is really cool and beautiful. We look at Hebrews 11 and see the "faith hall of fame" - those were people who believe in and knew the faithfulness of God. Some of them didn't have the background (ie Bible) that we do so they only experienced his faithfulness. I have a quote that I used to carry around with me all the time. It says, "living life means letting go...
Letting go of expectations
Letting go of desires
Letting go of control
and seeing God hold on..."

Hopefully things don't seem to crashing quite so much right now, but if they do, I hope you are continue to see God hold on.

It is in these times that God again shows his faithfulness. That's something we can both look back on and stand on when the winds blow hard and we can neither see his hand or his face. So, I guess we'll just go on trusting his heart.


cdk-
Yeah, I dunno! :-) I guess I would say that I do agree that the Church often misses opportunities to join in God's story as both the whole & individuals seek to improve their weaknesses instead of working in their strengths.

Additionally though, I think we are failing to train leaders. Sometimes we just drop the ball as a whole and others the institutions or programs we set up are outdated or have significant holes in them. My purpose in saying this is not at all to bash or criticize the Church. I'm just saying if we are not raising up leaders who can help people to discover and work from their strength, whose going to do it?

It is also difficult because it is such a process. I'm finding it to be a bit of an adventure - fun and all- but its also been a hard process, sometimes a stressful or pain-filled process. We can't just take a personality or spiritual gifts test or two and call it a day. It is an undertaking to exercise skills, talents, and passions. It takes time, experience and probably even some [cringe!] failure. And then we have to get back up and dive in again somewhere else. (Philip, my boss, came up with a good diagram while the two of us were talking about this one day). I'll have to show you sometime.

Good thoughts. Keep thinking. :) I realized how many of the question I have go unanswered and how many of the thoughts I have don't get completely thought or worked through simply because I don't take the time to do so. I'm working on it, though.
I'm glad we can (and get to) journey together...(even when we are a half a world apart).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home