Frail and Foolish

Saturday, August 04, 2007

Canoing: Just For the Record :)

I went canoing today. Although I think, perhaps, I may have been in a canoe before (at camp as a child) I know that I have not truly been canoing until today.

Hans (our leader) had the great idea (I'm not sarcastic about it this time :) to take us canoing. We had an awesome time. The scenery was beautiful and the company wasn't too bad either.

The worker at the shop where we rented our equipment was instructing us with a serious yet light-hearted tone and attitude. That is, until the end of our time when he found out we were "theology" students (the quickest explanation). It was then that he stepped back and his faced basically dropped and he showed a little anxiety. It was a bit sad though hilarious! One of my teammates said, "We're still nice people!" His responce, "I didn't say anything." It was funny.

Anywho, we guestimated that we set into the river (Lahn) at approximately 11am. We were told that the trip we were taking would take 6 hours- only 5 if we made good time and just 4 as long as we didn't stop. Just for the record, we stopped for 45 for lunch and still made it in less than 4 hours. I'm just saying.

Oh, and if you google "lahn river-germany" and click on the wikipedia link you can not only get more info but also see a picture of where we were. The caption is, "The Lahn between Gießen and Wetzlar, " which just happen to be our start and end points.

The journey started with a small panic attack (including a bit of anger and some tears) by one of my 3 boat mates but ended very well. The in between was good. :)
Our journey was between 15 and 16 kilometers which is between 9-10 miles. What a way to start!

My left shoulder is already a bit sore and I have no doubt that I, along with the rest of my team, will all be sore tomorrow. In the mean time, it was a whole lot of fun and a great new experience. Its one that I would recommend and do again.

That's all. Sorry, no uber-deep thought or huge life lesson in this post. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home