Frail and Foolish

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Leaving It All on the Field

I don't think I ever told this story in the past, although it "dates" back to October when we had out first guest teacher/pastor here. I won't jump into the full back story, as the new story from today will explain it enough but I just wrote an email and wanted to share it with you, my beloved blog readers. :)

Short back story, the Pastor who was here told about his son who loves baseball but has a physical handicap. Each year he tried out for the school baseball team but was cut. His final year of tryouts he was 1 of the last 2 people cut. Later in the year (I believe at the awards banquet) the coach acknowledged that he wished he would have kept this passionate young man on the team. The way he gave it his all (and didn't go home until his all was given) and general attitude he brought to the other players and "team" during try outs was exemplary, the kind of players you want on your team.

Here is part of the email I wrote:

Now, what keeps coming to mind...I cannot count how many times your story about [your son's] baseball try outs has come to mind just over the past week or two. [We have another guest teacher this week.] This morning we started watching a series from John Maxwell. He tells the story of the UCLA basketball coach talking to his players, individually in practice, when they weren't giving their all. He talked about how you can't make up for not giving 100% today, because you can't give 110 or 150% tomorrow. You can only give a hundred, so if you don't give it today, it is lost. Again, I just thought about [your son] leaving it all out on the field.

I was pondering "leaving it all on the field" a little bit again just last week. I still don't know what exactly that means, or better stated, how that plays out in my life. There are so many days when I feel like there is more to give, more to do, more...and not just in a workaholic type mode but in a way where I desire to give and do more, to invest more. As I continue to move through this faith journey, I trust that God will continue to teach and guide me...that somehow, hopefully sooner than later, I can and will learn how to consistently, day by day, give it my all so at the end of the day I know I left it all out on the field.

2 Comments:

At 4:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen.

 
At 9:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What they said! (above)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home