A Season of Faiths Perfection...Some Memories
Baseball season opened yesterday in the US. I miss it. The weather isn't quite perfect for baseball just yet, but it will be soon. I was talking with someone about it and made me miss it all the more, but it also made my heart smile. And then, something even better, a memory. I was telling him about my first pro baseball game. It was the Minnesota Twins vs. the Toronto Blue Jays, Kirby Puckett's glory days.
A little later this evening I was talking to my sister. We were chatting back and forth and I brought up baseball. I was about to remind her/ask her about the Twins game when she said "Remember our first game? The MN Twins and Kirby Puckett" I think it might be one of my most vivid early memories.
We spent a few minutes reminiscing about it. Here's a snipit:
Evan: How old were we?
Cara :who knows?
Evan: i dont think we lived in NE yet
Cara: still in Amarillo
Evan Offutt: but I dont remember Grandma being around at that point so i had to be i think in 1st grade
Cara: yes, I believe that's true so after 1990
Evan: but i dont think i was even in 2nd we went w/ Tom and Deb and the kids and grandpa
Cara: oh yeah, and we moved in 1993, so was it really that long ago?
Evan: i though minn was RIGHT by SD, i didnt even realize that we drove as far as we did to get to the game and then later in NE we got Kirby (he he)
Cara: oh yes, it had to be because I remember almost losing my pink hat off the rollercoaster at Wonderland riding with Theresa, I think
Evan: you got a hot pink hat yeah! and i got a white little teddy bear w/ a twins hat
Cara: yes, I was jealous - wishing I had thought of it because Kristin had one JUST like it, except it was a Texas Rangers bear
Evan: ahh! thats sad and kind of funny i never knew that
...
and as the conversation continued we moved on only to come back to our childhood again, remembering the time our cousin joined us in singing a (Lauren Tally) medly...Cara actually said singing/signing. And reminded me that they were "some sweet signs that we made up"
My response? "No doubt!"
So, if you get the chance, go to a ball game and enjoy a hot dog for me. Oh, and don't forget to take some sunflower seeds with you. Actively participate in the 7th inning stretch and take some time to remember times gone by...
and smile.

4 Comments:
well- you know how i feel about baseball! the smell of the ball park is one of my favorite smells ever... the fresh air, the freshly mowed grass, the hot dogs, the beer, the b.o.- who wouldn't love that?
and getting a footlong hot dog and sharing it with your best friend... gotta love that!
so, my internet has been retarded a lot lately so i've only just read your last like 3, or 4, posts. good stuff, good stuff. i'm so glad that i get to hear a little from your heart and even a little of whats going on. i wish i had more time to talk to you. i'm still working on that mic but since my internet was being retarded i opted to use the money a different way. hopefully my next pay check though. i'll keep you posted. i love reading your posts. and i love you! i'm praying for you and know that i think of you often. (i even think you were in my dreams the other night)
I saw a guy with a Dodgers shirt yesterday. I'm not a huge Dodgers fan by any means, actually I don't know much about them and I've never been to L.A. (yet...) but it made me homesick again for a good baseball game...I was thinking the Rockies. I was also thinking about the upcoming church softball season of which I admittedly am also a pretty big fan. Its true.
Post a Comment
<< Home