Auld Lang Syne
Happy New Year!
I celebrated New Year's Eve with some German and American friends here in Frankfurt. Germans know how to ring in the New Year. Near midnight a group of us assembled on the third floor balcony and counted down from 10 (in German) and clinked our glasses. I sang Auld Lang Syne a couple times, it seemed good to me. Oh, and, for the third year in a row I "called the hogs." A couple of Germans even joined it. That's what the folks in Arkansas do to ring in the New Year. Some of them are, well, hicks, but all of 'em are "folks." =)
As I looked out from the balcony I could see fireworks for about 225 degrees around me. Many of them were off in the distance, but they were all across the horizon line. They lasted for well over half an hour steadily, not to mention those that have been going off for days now. We could see the neighboring city of Offenbaug most. They say those in Frankfurt are even better. I even heard a rumor that the city (people in it) spent something ridiculous like 200 million euros on fireworks! Crazy! It was fun though.
I've been thinking about 2006 for the past few days. I wrote a little about it as I reflected on this very significant year... I'm not necessarily someone who does a lot of looking back over the year at my birthday or new years (like some of my friends) but this year demanded some extra attention.
Some of this year’s highlights included (mostly in order):
Graduating from College
Some close friends getting married
Backpacking Europe for a month
Moving to Arkansas for a stint (after floating between Denver, KC, and there)
And moving to Germany...for a year.
Those things were amidst many memories of friends- old and new, family, engagement announcements, announcements of pregnancy and birth, and even death. 2006 was an eventful year. God is so faithful. And now, may 2007 be our best year yet.

2 Comments:
Man, 2006 was an interesting year for many. I, for one, am glad that it's over. I'm not one for always reflecting over the last on my birthday or New Years. I kinda think about it on and off. This year though I will admit that I thought more about the past year on my birthday and New Years. Being so close together and all. Thank God He gave us the strength to get through certain parts of 2006. Thank God He still provided good times and ways out. Here is to 2007. May we remember why we are blessed anough to live it and may it be a great year! Happy New Year to you my dear friend.
And I try to remember that there are seasons in life, each one not only somehow preparing us for the next, but also making blessings more profound (and perhaps the struggles, at first glance, more profane).
I am a product of my past, and I appreciate my memories, but am not necessarily one to "look back" either. I am thankful that we do, in fact, have a new start as often as every morning (rather than every year), BUT I am working on "TNT" - which is 'Today, Not Tomorrow'.
Don't be confused, however. At graduation there was "No day but today." I don't think those are the same, exactly.
I'll have to expand on my thoughts at a later date, but I would like to know what you think, Evan Terese.
-cdk
Post a Comment
<< Home