Frail and Foolish

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Throwing Up, and Not Just Verbally

I try to get in a little exercise each day on top of the walking that we do here. Usually that includes crunches- both traditional and sides as well as another 'activity' on a little weight machine we have. Yesterday was a busy day and I was overwhelmed by everything I had to do. I was at the house last night, had a mini-meeting over some design work with one of my team members and made dinner (it was my night). We had dinner and then we were all hanging out. I went away to do some work, namely my German studies but also did my ab work out.
Later that night Emily came into the room where I was working and agreed to help me do a little resistance training. We did just a little and blah blah blah. It ended up with her asking me to go running this morning. Running is bad enough as it is, I wasn't going to wake up even earlier to torture myself. Then she asked me to go right then. I fought it a little bit but knew it would be good for me, for her (she is used to and needs physical activity- more than the rest of us =) for her over all wellness), and for us together. So I told her no again and then to be ready because we were leaving in less than 5 min.
We went running...for a mile. Needless to say I walked some BUT I ran half a mile before I walked and ran over 3 quarters of the way. I gotta tell you I was quite proud of myself, wanting to die, but it felt good.
We made it back to the house and we took our 1 of 2 of our 'after' pictures (I thought the event needed to be documented). Then I started coughing and threw up a little and then made it to the bathroom to throw up a little more, not a lot, mostly mucus (I know that you wanted to know) then brushed my teeth, took a shower, and retired to my bed to do some reading.
I actually pushed my body hard enough that I threw up. Crazy!
Now one other piece of this story is a little insight to my mad-running skills. When I was growing up, I'd count with my steps for awhile and then start back at one...I didn't run in high school or early college. I started running a little in my later college years. I would say to myself a Marine Corp quote, "pain is weakness leaving the body"...over and over.
I thought a little about Paul last night and his writings about beating his body into submission. I am so weak sometimes!
So anyway, I was running and saying that quote to myself. Only, I realized it didn't really work for a short stint of time in there, which made me laugh inside...I was barely running, just trying to keep going and found myself not saying "Pain is weakness leaving the body" or even the usual,
"Pain is..."

"weak-ness"

"leave-ing"

"thebody"

but instead, "Pain is...Pain is...Pain is...Pain is" I told Em afterward and she said that maybe that wasn't the best thing to "meditate on" while I was running. I suppose that's true...But if the shoe fits...

put it on and go running...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home