Frail and Foolish

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Belly-flops On the Playground

Some of you know that I hurt my finger...Here's the story...

A couple weeks ago (my first Saturday back in Germany) the group of us (minus Drew and Bethaney) were hanging out. We had just finished a movie and one of the guys (Larry, who was only here for a week) wanted to go for a walk. I decided to join him. It had been raining earlier in the day but it was a beautiful afternoon. We walked over to the park by the church and found some swings.

They had solid seats (hard plastic) so they didn't fold up around me like many swings do. We were having a decent conversation about life, enjoying the afternoon. I scooted back on the seat so I was sitting on my thighs, just above my knees. Larry started talking about jumping out of the swing. I was getting ready to get off and I put my shoulders/arms in front of the ropes and told him that I don't jump out of swings because I inevitably hurt myself (usually an ankle). I no more than finished the statement when I suddenly found myself swinging back higher than I thought I would be, as I was slowing down to get off...I tried to grab a hold of the ropes but they were caught behind my shoulders thus I proceeded to do a belly flop. (I'm an idiot!)

Larry was caught by surprise to say the least as he heard a big thump, looked back and saw me on the ground. It semi knocked the wind out of me. He asked if I was okay, well, I was in pain and I just laid still for a short while before rolling over to lay some more...Larry's response as i continued to lay there was, "well then, i lay here beside you so you don't look so weird" or something like that (very cool). I was in pain in a couple areas but my right hand was the worst. Underneath the nail on my middle finger bruised almost immediately and was bleeding a little along with the nail next to it...A bit hilarious if you ask me, except for the fact that it really hurt. Everything is fine now, except my finger which is a bit stiff and won't close all the way. This is my life...

Life lesson: Swings and belly flops don't mix!

1 Comments:

At 8:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! Okay, so I still have tears rolling down my cheeks because I'm at work and reading your blog - cracking up....well, there was a loud burst of laughter, but then I got embarrassed and realized there are people around me trying to work. I finally know how you hurt your finger, though (kind of) so that's good. I couldn't get it out of Mom.

Now for something profound...or, at least trying to be...you know how I struggle with time management? Judy asked me the other day how much time I spend with the Lord. Embarrassed about the real answer, I told her, "not enough." And she proceeded to tell me - I can't even remember how she put it because I couldn't believe it - how much she could see Christ in me. And, while that's my goal, if that's how others truly see me, why do I struggle so much? I wonder why I don't see the glory of the Lord in me. And then I realized, it's because I'm looking at me. I'm not looking at Him. (duh!)

So, here's me, once again turning my gaze to the One who's been on then end of my nose all along. Now I'm cross-eyed, but not looking weird alone, because you just did a belly flop on the ground. We can be broken, weird, and encouraged TOGETHER. I miss and love you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home