Remarkable.
Happy 2013! I don't know if this post signifies that I will be posting more again but I do think that it is, at the very least, a nice thought.
A couple years ago I was a part of a young professional's group (the church called us the "single young professionals, but we always managed to drop the "single" part when talking about ourselves... more on that later). Anywho, during our first meeting after the new year, the guy leading that night challenged us to come up with a "word for the year". There was a whole webpage devoted to this idea which contained short videos of people talking about their word. I just did a quick Google search and didn't find the website; it is not the one from the American Dialect Society, just to be clear.
I've been reading Seth Godin's Tribes. Godin is an incredibly intelligent (not to mention successful) man. He's a good writer and I've really enjoyed the talks/interviews I've heard him give. Tribes has influenced (to the point of changing the language people use) the people with whom I'd like to believe I'm associated---so much that I thought it was time I get on board and read it.
Time and time again in interviews with Godin, in his speaking and writing he uses the word "remarkable." Remarkable. When I read that a couple weeks ago I started think about what makes a life remarkable. I'm not sure that I really know but want to at least pursue finding out. So, that's my word for 2013.
Through no fault of its own and as no reflection on the group, my word for 2011 was largely irrelevant, even from the beginning. It was a great word but I was not as attached to it as I should have been nor embracing or pursuing it as much as what could make it meaningful. But I'm going for it this year. Hopefully it will last at least until February or March when all the other resolutions are wearing off too. But maybe, just maybe, it will stick around. I'm looking forward to the journey.
Do you have a word for 2013?
What's something remarkable people can do? What makes a life remarkable?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home