Frail and Foolish

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Going Back to High School - thoughts on my 10 year reunion


(Preface- this is a late night post that has not been - and may never be- edited... forgive my grammatical and, no doubt, other mistakes):

With my 10 year high school reunion just around the corner I wanted to share some thoughts about going back. It’s hard to believe its been 10 years. The day after the reunion will not only be my 29th birthday, but also mark 10 years to the day that I moved away from the place I called home for more than 11 years.
Since leaving, I’ve spent 3.5 years in Colorado (during which I held Texas residency and a drivers license, thanks to my parents), about 6 months in Arkansas, nearly 4 years in Germany (Frankfurt and Mainz), and I’ve been back in America more than 2 years now – first in Kansas and now, by the time of the reunion, 6 months in Indiana. I trust that I will always be more of a Husker than a Hoosier.
With that brief history behind us, I look forward to our reunion in a month.  Here’s what I want to say to the LSE Class of 2002 as we reunited:

1. Give people the room to have grown and changed. While I’m sure we will find some folks have changed very little (save some facial hair or weight) some may have changed quite a bit. Most of us know now that college isn’t the same as high school. Some of the more quiet classmates may have blossomed into louder versions on themselves. Some of us have faced tragedy we wouldn’t wish on our worst enemies. Others of us have made more of a point not to have enemies.  Our experienced have continued to shape and define us; we are not, for the most part, the 17 and 18 year old versions of ourselves any more.

There are classmates who haven’t left Lincoln, and others like myself who have hardly returned, some have  made it around the world and back – via studying, traveling, volunteering or courtesy of Uncle Sam. Speaking of Uncle Sam - can you believe that we were in Southeast when 9/11 “happened”? Our world changed that day. In the 11 years that have followed worldviews developed and changed for each of us. We have gotten married (and perhaps divorced), had babies, come out, gotten clean, received a degree or two or three. Some of us have jobs while others need jobs. Some of us have careers and others are still hoping to find one.

Are you prepared to offer kindness and respect – to offer or rekindle friendship with those with whom you will soon celebrate and commemorate? Realistically there will be plenty of people we don’t remember (and maybe never knew)– our class was huge– but those with whom you have things in common, used have thing in common, never did and perhaps still don’t have anything in common- will you offer respect, dignity, friendship?

2. Be prepared to say your sorry or to offer forgiveness if you need to do so. No doubt, there will be plenty of members of the class of 2002 that don’t come to the reunion for one reason of another. For those of us that do go, rather than lugging any baggage of guilt, unforgiveness, or bitterness around for another 10 years – if you need to say you’re sorry and/or ask for forgiveness just do it. If you have been carrying around hurt, lies, bitterness, etc for the last 10 years from high school, it’s time to let it go; its time to let yourself out of the chains. As author and theologian Lewis Smedes wrote, “ To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.”

If you need counseling, get counseling. If you need to get sober, get sober. It’s not easy to forgive—yourself or others—but its necessary, even if the person never asks for it. Not to mention the freeing power of, having asked for forgiveness, being told, “I forgave you a long time ago.” Not every relationship needs to be reconciled; you don’t have to be best friends or even friends but we can show respect for one another’s personhood. Let’s decide now to enjoy the weekend and let it be marked with meaningful conversation as well as fun.

3. Have fun! Take time to look back and reminisce. Remember Spring Days, performances and games. Remember the place you sat day after day for lunch and those with whom you sat. Look back with joy on days that have past. And while you are at it, take time to thank a teacher or two for the investment they made in you.

4. Look ahead! Look with hope to the days to come. Embrace the journey – with family and friends by your side. “Invest in yourself today so that you will have something offer tomorrow” (E. McManus) and give – of yourself, your time, your finances and/or whatever else you have.

I was (and am) proud to be a Knight. Before I could officially call myself a knight (as a Pound Squire) I remember watching a LSE show that benefited Habitat for Humanity. Those just before us believed that “every knight needed a castle” so they built a house. We build a playground and gave to our community in a number of other ways – through classes, clubs, and as individuals. Let that generosity and public service continue. We are still, and forever will be Knights. Whether under that banner or another, may we give of ourselves to make the world a better place.

5. A final note: I had the privilege of being a graduation speaker and you were subjected to listen.  J My grades were not in the top 3% (I won’t name names, PhD holders ;) but my speech was and so I got to speak about defining moments. Admittedly I don’t remember it all and the floppy disk has long been gone with only a paper copy or two remaining. What I do remember is it opening by referencing the Swindoll quote about being “convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it”. I talked about the defining moments we faced as a world, nation, school, and as individuals - in the choices we made day-by-day.  I’m sure the conclusion was brilliant but since I don’t know what it was, I leave you with this—for now and a month from now—entitled The Time is Now (by Dr. Earl Reum):

THE TIME IS NOW
To live a meaningful life--a life that allows you to grow:  physically, intellectually, emotionally and spiritually--completely--and on purpose!

THE TIME IS NOW
To give unselfishly of yourself and your talents in order to make life a little easier for at least one specific someone else and maybe for the whole world.

THE TIME IS NOW
To celebrate the differences in others.  We must no longer be divided as Black, White, Brown, Red or Golden-skinned "races".  We need to LIVE in harmony as THE HUMAN RACE! "The crew" on the spaceship Earth!  Not a melting pot, but a salad!

THE TIME IS NOW
To believe in yourself.  There will be times when others won't; but if you deeply believe, then add in the magic that's in your heart, you become all that you'll ever need for all that you will eventually do!

THE TIME IS NOW
To take risks:  to move in the direction of your dreams.  It could mean facing rejection, or failure, or perhaps enormous success, but you'll never know until you take those risks!

THE TIME IS NOW
To dream!  Seek your own special place.  Let your mind create your world. Turn an idealistic fantasy into a promising reality.  Make a positive difference in your world--in other lives--in your standing place.

THE TIME IS NOW
To commit to those values you have chosen and let them guide you in every decision of your life.  Never compromise your beliefs.  Walk the talk!

THE TIME IS NOW
To laugh.  A contagious condition where everyone wants to be "a carrier!"

THE TIME IS NOW
To be responsible for who we are and the person we are each becoming. It's time to lead a full life which will benefit others.  It's time to be an inspiration for people as they shape their lives.  It's time for me to be my best self to become the best person that my potential will allow--with effort and determination!
It is such a personal, private discovery!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home