Frail and Foolish

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Free? (Thoughts on Theology)*

My latest read** has me practically bursting at the seams to have some discussions. Thankfully, it has a "discussion guide" which allows me to further process what I'm taking in and I have had the opportunity to converse about various pieces of the book with various people. In addition to those discussions, other recent interactions with friends and conversations about beliefs, scriptural interpretation, and life have added to the thoughts on theology explored here.

The book is a Generous Orthodoxy by Brian McLaren. In a foreward, John R. Franke writes, "Post-liberals" and "post-conservatives"] can be identified by some common characteristics and commitments, such as...a willingness to think through old questions in new ways that foster the pursuit of truth, the unity of the church, and the gracious character of the gospel." (emphasis mine) He goes on to say, "Generous orthodoxy does not so much specify a particular point or position as it establishes a spacious territory defined by certain distinct boundaries in which there is space to live, move, and breathe while exploring the wonders and mysteries of the faith." We'll come back to this.

In the opening chapter (chapter 0) McLaren hits on something else that I see, not so much as necessary for our (or really, "up for") discussion here but rather, as important for life, or at least a life of faith. My initial reaction was along the lines of, "duh!" or "of course; that's the way it should be!" but even as I thought it, I was aware of the fact that those sentiments are not shared by all. McLaren states, "...this book seems to approach orthodoxy (right thinking and opinion about the gospel) as a tool or means to achieve orthopraxy (right practice of the gospel)." It reminded me of something I heard from author and teacher Beth Moore. It was along the lines of, "God's Word is not just meant to be added to our theology, but it was meant to be sown into our reality."

These thoughts (from Franke specifically regarding "the pursuit of truth" and McLaren's a hand-in-hand orthodoxy and orthopraxy) bump right up against some of the biblical (interpretation) questions I've been asked to discuss in recent days. And while I appreciate and encourage a willingness to dialogue and dig deeper into the Word, I couldn't help but wonder if maybe the wrong questions were being asked. Yes, I submit to you that conversations about predestination, eschatology (the study of end times), and even the "afterlife" (yes, going to heaven or hell, etc.) should neither be at the forefront of our theology or at the top of our questions regarding the Bible or Christianity.

The gospel of John records Jesus saying, "If you hold to my teaching you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free." (John 8:31b-32, NIV) During his time on earth, quoting the Old Testament, he also taught, "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments." (Matthew 22:37-40)

The aforementioned topics, and no doubt many others, that often take place seem to have very little to do with these two (very significant) thoughts from Jesus. (I'll digress once more long enough to re-emphasize that I do in fact encourage and support studying the Bible, asking questions, and discoursing over the various subjects, thoughts, and themes that arise. Simultaneously, I believe these conversations should be held in proportion to their importance and place within the gospel, not to mention in appropriate (healthy) settings at appropriate times.)

Jumping back, I must therefore ask, is your theology setting you free? And does it help or make you love God and love others more? If not, it might be time to rethink some things...



*I also considered entitling this post Asking the Wrong Question(s)

**I'm just a few chapters into a Generous Or+hodoxy by Brian McLaren, subtitled Why I am a missional, evangelical, post/protestant, liberal/conservative, mystical/poetic, biblical, charasmatic/contemplative, fundamentalist/calvanist, anabaptist/anglican, methodist, catholic, green, incarnational, depressed-yet-hopeful, emergent, unfinished Christian. (You're welcome.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home