The two beams of the cross...
*Warning: I'm sick and I'm not sure if the meds are kicking in or wearing off, either way, I think it's all contributing to the cohesiveness (or lack there of) of this particular piece...proceed with caution.
While there are many thoughts that are on their way to the blog, they haven't yet made it. :) They are a bit older and no doubt more refined than the current idea which is bouncing around in my brain like a little red bouncy ball. However, the bouncy ball is close at hand and it has been awhile since I've written so I'll take the opportunity to share it now.
I'm reading Henri Nouwen's The Wounded Healer for (only) the second time. I search it, and myself, with hopes both of learning what it means to be a wounded healer and that I might have the courage to be one. We'll see...
One thought, in particular, that struck me tonight is found in the foundation that Nouwen lays in the first section of his book. Speaking of Jesus he writes, "His appearance in our midst has made it undeniably clear that changing the human heart and changing human society are not separate tasks, but are as interconnected as the two beams of the cross."
As some of you know, this year will be my last living in Germany. Actually, at this point, I'm down to just a few months. The other day someone asked me, in essence, about how I could most benefit the church or vise versa; it all runs together. My initial reaction and response still stand, "I don't know, but I'm willing to think about it more..."
I really don't know. I do have some ideas but I'm less than sure how (and if) they interact. Nouwen's quote makes me further believe that they do. Many of my dreams and ideas have more to do with the changing of society, however I know that cannot be done apart from changed hearts and, well, Jesus is the only one I know who can do that.
I believe in the local church (even though I am admittedly at least a little scared to be a part of one upon returning to the States). I believe that the hope of the world is Jesus Christ lived out through the local church. We are his body - we are all to be a Eucharist - living our lives as broken bread and poured out wine. Or, perhaps better stated, we are to be Christ- His body- and that comes with an understanding that, as such, we pour our lives out for his sake - for others. We participate in the story God is writing; we participate in the stories in individual lives he creates. As he is lived out we will continue to see both hearts and society being changed.
No, these are no separate tasks. Laws and doctrine may (attempt to) govern each, but it is Jesus who actually changes them. "Jesus was a revolutionary, who did not become an extremist, since he did not offer an ideology, but Himself," Nouwen writes. May we offer Jesus as we offer ourselves and in the process find that indeed, "the changing the human heart and chancing human society are not separate tasks, but are as interconnected as the two beams of the cross..."

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home