(More than) Happy to Help
A few weeks ago I heard the 40th Psalm read aloud. This psalm of David begins, "I waited patiently for the LORD; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear the LORD and put their trust in him." (Verses 1-3)
It is a beautiful Psalm but what struck me most was found later, in verse 13 (shown here with a little context):
11 Do not withhold your mercy from me, LORD;
may your love and faithfulness always protect me.
12 For troubles without number surround me;
my sins have overtaken me, and I cannot see.
They are more than the hairs of my head,
and my heart fails within me.
13 Be pleased to save me, LORD;
come quickly, LORD, to help me.
"Be pleased to save me..."
Through the years I've managed to find myself in sticky situations. I've been "stranded", in a bind at work, school, or in some other area of responsibility and in great need of help. I've also been on the other side, being in relationship with others who were in various kinds of need. I've been on the giving and receiving end of help simply because its the right thing to do. I've been on the giving and receiving end of help because "I can", "I have time", "it's no problem", "you're my friend", "I feel sorry for you", and no doubt other thoughts and feelings.
I've also had the pleasure (and relief) to be on the giving and receiving ends of sincerely "happy to help". I've had people who have stepped in at a moments notice to take care of something that was my responsibility when I was completely overwhelmed and incapable. People have come to my aid and enjoyed the experiences. :) I've also gotten to step in, join in prayer with or for, and help in situations, circumstances, and needs in which I was grateful to be involved. I was happy to participate.
In hearing the words of Psalm 40:13, "Be pleased to save me, LORD; come quickly, LORD, to help me." I believe a smile crept across my face - an outward expression of what was happening in my heart. I've experienced glimpses of the pleasure that can come in "rescuing" someone. The thought of the Lord taking pleasure in rescuing me, in rescuing us, isn't a stretch for me. Zephaniah 3:17 tell us, "The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing."
So, for all of us in need, in one way or another...or in a whole handful of ways, I pray, "Be pleased to save us, LORD; come quickly, LORD, to help us."

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home