Frail and Foolish

Saturday, April 30, 2011

A Celebration of Life

Today, two very important people’s lives will be celebrated—the first in birth, the second in death. My deep desire was to be at both of these celebrations but since plans don’t always go as we’d like, and I am unable to attend either, I will take time to commemorate here.

Life 1
This week a miracle milestone was reached as Noah Autumn reached her first birthday! After being born with HLHS (the left side of her heart never formed) she has survived surgeries and much more. Yes, she is a fighter but quite possibly the cutest one you’ve ever seen.

Her mom, Cass, writes, “…as the Psalmist writes in Psalm 63:

I have seen you in the sanctuary and beheld your power and your glory.
Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you.
I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name I will lift up my hands.


Noah's life is a testament to the power and glory of her Maker. We have seen him work wonders in the sanctuary of her body; only through his power and grace has she lived to see today. To see her lift her hands, I am filled with hope that she also knows his love deeply in a way that is satisfying to her sweet, little soul.

Happy Birthday, Baby! May the miracles never cease!”

In lieu of gifts for her birthday, money is being collected to benefit African women through pre-natal care; life continues. Today friends and family will gather in Germany to celebrate Noah’s life with a birthday party. Baby Noah, I too celebrate your life!

Life 2

“I don’t want to live forever. I just want to live until I die,” and so were the words and the life of Randall Singletary (1983 - 2011). When I try to describe him succinctly, I falter. How can you do a life justice succinctly? As I considered his life, I couldn’t help but think about how Randall really “looked” like Jesus, it was just packaged so much differently than I’d ever seen before. You see, Randall was his only “angry black man” superhero version of Jesus.

He dreamed big dreams. They weren’t dreams marked by financial success and fame, rather he dreamt of making good films, telling good stories, and continue to both love God and be wrapped up in serving the homeless (wherever he found himself at the time) and in going to camp each summer to serve disadvantaged children and youth.

It seems a shame not to mention Randall’s charm and wit; they were two of my favorite things about him. His commentary on situations made me chuckle to myself, roll my eyes, and laugh out loud. His intelligence and humility kept me on my toes.

Today a memorial service will be held in NYC to celebrate Randall’s life. I have shed far more tears than I prefer for any celebration but, especially today, I will celebrate Randall’s life.

Additional Thoughts
As I reflected earlier in the week on these two lives, our friendships, and God, with questions still turning in the wheels of my mind, I wrote the following (with a tune for the second half ;)

With a breath from your mouth the cancer was cured
Through the skill of a doctor’s hand you gave life through an unformed heart
And with a flip of a switch a body was surrendered fully to death
and to your hands
I know, I believe your mercy was shown through each situation and
I trust you bring glory to yourself – as you so deserve – through each trial,
but I don’t know why
Some prayers are answered “yes” with a whisper, just a word
And some prayers are answered through others here on earth
And some prayers are answered “no”
But your mercy’s still the same
So I pray, Lord, to walk in grace as I live by your name

Yes, these lives have served as markers of both joy and trial. They point to a good God, who is not only the living God but as is life. Today we celebrate the life-giving God and two lives he gave.

---
For more information and to see pictures of Noah, please visit: http://cassandalex.blogspot.com/2011/04/happy-birthday-baby.html

For a glimpse into Randall’s life, check out these two videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBQ6ktebEME (memorial video)

http://vimeo.com/14060114 (camp video that Randall directed and edited – in the words of “Mama” Rose, “Randall went home to be with the Lord today. For those who are grieving, here is a little joy. Remember him well” ♥)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home