Jesus Calling
For
Christmas I received a copy of the daily devotional book Jesus Calling.
My friend has been encouraged (and perhaps challenged) by it over the last few
months and gave me a copy.
Sometime
over the last year I got into the habit of checking Facebook first thing in the
morning. I would wake up, hit snooze on the alarm on my phone and lay the
phone next to me. When the time came for me to actually heed the alarm's call, I would roll over, grab my
phone and open Facebook. Of course, one of the main purposes was to justify
staying in bed…
I’ve
noticed that Facebook has become something I do/check more out of habit, or as
something to putz around with because of lacking connection here far more than
for actually connecting in most cases. So, I’m going to try to kick the habit.
I naturally did it a whole lot less while I was home, surrounded by family and
friends. It’s time to make (or at least try hard to make) that a reality here,
minus the fact that my family is indeed, not here. I digress.
In
light of embracing a new waking up process (yes, it is a process, usually a
painful one), I started this morning by reading today’s writing in Jesus
Calling, which is written from the perspective of God/Jesus. It wasn’t
until I read it slowly, in pieces, the second time that this phrase stopped me
in my proverbial tracks, “…I am fully attentive to you.”
Fully
attentive. It’s not very often that we get “fully attentive” from people. I
have a friend who would prefer to
communicate with me on Facebook than over a meal… which I learned over and over
again as she spent time on Facebook while we were, in fact, having a meal.
People say that Bill Clinton is an expert at this – being fully present and
attentive. (Warning: Jesus Juke: you know who else was that way? Jesus.) I’d
like to be that way but I realized how often I don’t think of God as being that
way. (Forgive me, Lord.)
Even
as I was talking to God this morning I realized that it was more like I was
talking at him or just throwing it out there hoping it would stick. John
Ortberg’s God Is Closer Than You Think made me realize that a lot of
times I prayed like I was writing a letter that would have to be sent and
received. At times, journaling only perpetuates that for me.
Don’t
get me wrong, I believe God loves me, cares for me, listens to me, etc. There
are times of prayer that feel deeply connected and meaningful. But there are
also times when I feel like God is the parent who is trying to do five (or 50)
things at once – only one of which is listening to their child. So today I
mentally grabbed God’s face (no theological implications here) – a hand on each
cheek and looked into his eyes as I spoke. It was kind of strange, almost uncomfortable,
but we’ll move past that and I’m looking forward to it.
How
about you? Is prayer like a conversation, a letter, or a child in the other
room?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home