A Time to Remember
April is a very significant month for remembrance, not only for America, but for the whole world. This month marked the 14th and 10th anniversaries for the Oklahoma City Bombing and Columbine High School shooting, respectively, and has been deemed Genocide Prevention Month.
Just as people remember where they were when they found out JFK has been assassinated, or the horrific events of September 11, 2001, I remember crossing the intersection of 48th & Hwy 2 as my mom explained the events of the day. She had been working in the kitchen at our church daycare when our pastor came down to give the news. By the time the news reached me, I think we knew our family was safe and unharmed.
I don't remember where I was when I found out about the events at Columbine High School. I assume it was on the radio on the way home from school or on the evening news. Though I don't know the exact time or place, I do remember it shaking my world. At my own school bomb-threats, changes in policy and procedures followed.
Exactly one year later, I was aware of the anniversary and remember sitting in my 10th grade English class and saying a prayer for peace.
But as I said, these atrocities in the United States are not the only events we remember for this month also holds the "day of remembrance" for multiple genocides including (but not limited to) the Armenian Genocide (during WWI), the Holocaust (WWII), and that in Rwanda.
In our church this month we took special offerings to help with humanitarian efforts in Darfur, where genocide is happening right now. We asked some of our friends from Rwanda to share their story and their culture.
One young woman, around my own age, shared about the Rwandan genocide with both general facts and her own family's story. Then she and two others danced a traditional Rwandan dance. It was beautiful. Some people don't know what happened in Rwanda and don't know what is happening today in Darfur. We need to know, we need remember and we need to act.
With her permission I will post more of her story, but in the mean time, I wanted to share these few poignant words:
"Today, 15 years after the genocide, Rwanda enjoys peace and security. Refugees came back to their country, primary education is free for all children, all Rwandese have access to minimum health service, investors are welcomed, and empowering youth and women is a priority for the government.
Today Rwanda wants to forgive but not forget.
Today Rwanda says, "Never Again!""
For more info:
1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It0ibUWVOZI
2. www.candles4rwanda.org
3. www.preventorprotect.org

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home