Frail and Foolish

Friday, April 10, 2009

Good Friday

Over and over again, year after year, I feel that I fail to understand the significance of this day. While I have a better grasp of what it meant 2000+ years ago than I used to, but I miss the significance in commemorating it. I've fasted, gone to Good Friday services, enjoyed a day off of school or work, but still, felt like I was missing something.

Every Friday I, along with at least one other person, go to the nursing home. We serve in the dementia ward by helping the patients use whatever capacities they have to eat dinner. For some, they just need someone there with them to keep them sitting. Others need some help cutting their food into bite size pieces, while others need to been spoon-fed.

Last week one of the workers questioned our presence this week since it's Good Friday. We said we didn't know if we would perhaps come on Thursday instead, but one way or another, we would be there. He's not a Christian and we have yet to figure out from where he pieces his understanding and view of Christianity (some of his ideas seem to have a fairly strong Catholic connotation). He didn't get how, on such an important day in our faith, we could come and help.

One answer, on a very practical level, was that the people still needed to eat. Which, for the most part, was reason enough for me to go. But it got me thinking. I think that perhaps a better response is the question, how could or why would we not help on such a significant day? What are we commemorating, and on Sunday celebrating, if not Christ taking the first huge step in making things right again. He over came death. He not only showed us a better way to live but also invited us to join in restoring creation.

When we serve, sacrifice, and give of ourselves, when we remember and help the lonely, poor, forgotten, widows, orphans, and others who are marginalized in our society perhaps we participate in God's story. Maybe that shows more understanding and is a good way to commemorate this holy day . Maybe I'm not missing as much as I thought...and there's still room to grow.

Have a blessed Good Friday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home