Frail and Foolish

Sunday, March 09, 2008

Erwie

I heart Erwin McManus. Around our house he is often referred to as Erwie, a name I'm sure he'd hate (wouldn't blame him). I'm not exactly sure where (or why) it came from, but its stuck around.

I recently finished his book Uprising and thoroughly enjoyed it. It surprised me. The book is broken up into sections. You read the first one and then can read the next 3 in any order you want. After looking into my options I strategically chose the order in which I would read the sections. The third, though interesting, seemed to be the least applicable (as I was searching for guidance and information). The first two were very helpful but I was surprised by the third. It spoke the most to me.

It was nice to have parallels being drawn from not only my life to the book, but also corresponding lessons and scripture passages (from my personal Bible reading and Erwie's examples/references).

Okay - enough explaining - here are some quotes I want to share:

(Context: Integrity)
We understand that it is not necessary for others to lose power for us to be more powerful. The real measure of our power is the freedom and opportunity we create for others. Men and women who are marked by integrity point the way to freedom. Leaders on integrity don't simply lead by example; they lead by essence. (p. 82, emphasis mine)

Only when you embrace God's calling on your life will you need God-inspired courage. We often ask for God's power to accomplish our small dreams. We should instead cry out for God's courage to step out on His bold adventure. (p. 90)


There is something that God wants you to do--not to sit back and watch Him do or passively wait for Him to do, but a calling that God waits for you to embrace, pursue, and fulfill. God chooses to entrust His most sacred work to people just like you and me. ...[Joshua] knew it wasn't just a God thing; it was also a human thing.(p. 94)

...and that is pretty much where I am right now, embracing, pursuing, and fulfilling the call...walking in grace by faith.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home