The Exodus
I've been reading in the book of Exodus lately and was especially ________ last night. The word to describe that blank eludes me, floored, excited, thankful, intrigued, perhaps? I've heard it said that the Israelites exodus is quite indicative of my story (and yours too) and I believe it, I see it.
Here are some of the cool (I need to increase my vocabulary) things I found last night (between Exodus 13:17 and 14:14):
1) When Pharaoh let the people go, God did not lead them on the road through the Philistine country, though that was shorter. For God said, "If they face war, they might change their minds and return to Egypt." So God led the people around by the desert road toward the Red Sea.
I was thinking about how even when I'm coming out of bad (or even just not so good) places at the first sign of trouble I want to run and return to what is familiar, even if it's not what is best for me. I'm a mind-changer - of myself.
2) By day the LORD went ahead of them in a pillar of cloud to guide them on their way and by night in a pillar of fire to give them light, so that they could travel by day or night. Neither the pillar of cloud by day nor the pillar of fire by night left its place in front of the people.
Overwhelmed by God's faithfulness through the day and night...
3) Multiple times in this passage God talks about his glory, this is just the first,
But I will gain glory for myself through Pharaoh and all his army, and the Egyptians will know that I am the LORD.
I'm so thankful to serve a God who is about his own glory. If God was about anyone or anything else's glory, would it be right for him to be God? I don't think so. I love that He gets glory- one way or another and through virtually anything. I like that we can chose to be a part of giving him glory but also, that he gets it whether we chose it or not. I think its best though actively, willingly participate.
And finally,
4)The LORD will fight for you; you need only to be still.
What a promise and reminder. I think there are times when we are called to stand firm and fight, but there are also times when we need only to be still. Rest. Peace.
I hope this is good news to you. It was to me as I laid in bed pondering many things and enjoying the goodness of God.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home